Best Food With Calcium For Kids – Calcium is very important for growing children. In this blog, we are covering all the foods having calcium, and all the foods mentioned are loved by most children. For any kid, having a balanced diet in the early growth years is crucial for he/she long life. Otherwise, it can lead to some life-long threatening disorders/illnesses such as IDS syndrome, osteoporosis, etc. There is many best food with calcium for kids that are easily available on the market.
First of all, let us introduce ourselves. Dietitian Priyanka Mittal is one of the well-renowned dietitians from Chandigarh. She runs both online and offline modes of consulting for diet plans. She has over 5+ years of experience. If you are interested in booking an appointment with Dt Priyanka Mittal by calling us at +91-9779217001.
Dietitian Priyanka Mittal is known for her personalized diet plans for all age groups and she worked with esteemed authorities throughout her career. However, in this blog we are covering the importance of calcium, what is recommended daily dosage of calcium, its medical benefits, and why we need calcium in the diet.
Importance of Calcium | Daily Dosage of Calcium
Calcium is one of the most abundant minerals. We need calcium for crucial bone-building, muscles, and teeth. Also, it plays a role in cardiovascular function and muscle movement. One can get a daily dosage of calcium via foods, and taking supplements. But here is the twist, calcium works along with Vitamin D for proper functioning.
Calcium is one of the vital building blocks of our body. It is important for building bones, teeth, and muscles. Calcium is very important for building bone, muscle building, and teeth building in the early growth years. It is very important to make sure that the children get calcium at the optimum levels.
First of all, we will discuss the calcium levels required for a toddler/kid/child –
Age group b/w-
- 0 to 6 months – 200 milligrams/day
- 7 to 12 months – 260 milligrams/day
- 1 year to 3 years – 700 milligrams/day
- 4 years to 8 years – 1000 milligrams/day
What are the Benefits of Calcium?
Following is the list of some benefits and importance of adding calcium source food to kid’s diet-
- Important for Bone Health – Calcium constitutes almost 99% of the body’s bones and teeth. It is also essential for the maintenance, growth, and development of our bodies. Especially for a child, consuming a daily dosage of calcium becomes more important.
- Muscle Contraction Regulation – Calcium helps in stimulating muscle contraction as it is important for the contraction-relaxation mechanism of muscle.
- Cardiovascular Role – Calcium plays an important role in the proper working of the heart muscle. It is a crucial part of the blood clotting mechanism as well.
- Important Cofactor – Calcium is an important cofactor for many biological processes. It helps in regulating cholesterol levels and blood pressure.
What is the best Food with Calcium For Kids?
- Dairy Products – Dairy is rich in calcium and it should be in the diet of a kid. Even if kids do not like milk, you can add cheese, butter, etc. to the diet. All dairy products are rich in calcium. Dairy products contain vitamin A, vitamin D, and B12. Vitamin D also helps in better absorption of calcium.
- Soy Products – There are plenty of options in soy products that can be added to kids’ diets. Such as soy milk, soybean, soy yogurt, cheese, etc.
- Fruits – Orange and apple juice are loved by kids and it is easily available in the market. 1 orange has 50mg of calcium. So, you can give it to your kid.
- Almonds – Almonds help in boosting brain power and improving memory. But it is also rich in calcium. It should be added to one daily diet.
- Beans – Beans like chickpeas, soybeans, and other lentils are rich in calcium. Beans also contain vitamin A, Vitamin E, Vitamin C, polyunsaturated fatty acids, dietary fiber, iron, potassium, folate, and magnesium.
- Green Peas – For 100 gms of green peas constitutes 25 mg of calcium. It is also rich in vitamin K and helps in bone growth & development.
- Fish – Fish is quite a popular source of calcium. Fishes like rawas, rohu and hilsa are quite popular fish food. Fish is a great source of omega-6 fatty acids, proteins, etc.
- Green Veggies – Even though green veggies are not the favorite food of kids. But still, green veggies are important for kids’ growth in the early stage. It is rich in vitamin C, vitamin A, folate, calcium, and iron. You can add some veggie leaves in rolls, sandwich soup, etc.
Finally, I hope you get all the information regarding Best Food with Calcium for kids. These calcium-rich foods must be in the diet of your kid. However, if you want personalized diet plans then feel free to reach out to dietitian Priyanka!