Why Is Yoga Important During Menstruation? – It is quite a controversial topic of doing any kind of yoga during menstruation. There are some arguments from the people who favored that yoga helps in lowering pain during menses and some argue the opposite. So, in this blog, we are covering the most talked about topic “ Why Yoga is important during Menstruation?” in detail.
Menstrual is quite a personal and sensitive topic but is a vital part of womanhood. On the other hand, Yoga is a widely accepted meditation form for achieving holistic wellness. Some people still have orthodox thinking regarding the menstrual cycle such as one should not do any kind of spiritual practice during menstruation as it is a cleansing period. Even though menses is natural and is an important symbol of fertility.
How does Yoga help in the Menstrual Cycle?
Yoga can be simply described as breathing exercises with different positions or asanas. There are simple and easy yoga asanas that one can do during menstruation. It is scientifically proven to ease pain and cramping during periods. During periods, the uterus contracts leading to the shedding of blood from the outer lining of its wall. There is a secretion of a hormone named “Prostaglandins’ ‘ that causes inflammation and pain during periods. So, the more secretion, the more pain. Apart from it, the cause of painful cramps is the lack of oxygen in the muscles of the uterus.
Why Yoga is Important During Menstruation?
Some yoga postures can help in stretching the spin and increase the blood flow. Also, some yoga asanas can help in relaxing the uterus. Also, it significantly reduces stress levels and helps to cope with mood swings and anxiety. Moreover, doing yoga routinely helps in regulating the menstrual cycle which is quite sensitive. Millions of women suffer from hormonal imbalances causing endless side effects on their bodies and fertility. Yoga can be used as a tool to somehow regulate this imbalance of hormones with minimum medicines.
Yoga helps in relaxing muscles and the mind which ultimately leads to releasing endorphins in the body. Here are some best yoga asanas you can do during periods. These postures are the easiest ones and will help in relaxing your body. Also, it took only 15-20 min at max.
- Upavistha Konasana
- Setu Bandha Sarvangasana
- Supta Baddha Konasana
Top Benefits Of Doing Yoga During Menstrual Cycle
Yoga is quite helpful in balancing hormone levels and can be effective to eliminate cramps. It is a proven fact that yoga helps in maintaining optimum mental and physical health. Moreover, there are some top benefits of doing yoga during periods-
- Yoga can help in regulating hormones and one of the vital hormones is insulin. Over the years resistance to insulin can lead to obesity and ultimately cause hormonal imbalance.
- During periods, women felt more emotionally and also troubled with mood swings. This is also a result of imbalanced hormones. By doing yoga, you will feel much better and help in fighting chronic fatigue & depression.
- Doing yoga during menses can be beneficial to lower stress levels and anxiety.
- It will also help in better sleep which is a major cause of mood disorder and fatigue.
- Yoga stimulates the release of hormone named endorphins, which helps in relaxing the body and also eases periods of cramps.
What Yoga Asanas Should Avoid During Menstruation?
There are some asanas recommended to avoid periods by the experts. These are Shirshasana, Dhanurasana, Halasana, Sarvangasna, Bakasana, and Karnapeedasana. Periodic cramps and mood disorders are harsh to deal with especially every month. Also, you need to take body care during periods and not make harsh unwanted moves that cause any injury. That’s why you must do light yoga positions only to relax your body. It will be efficient and sufficient for you.
Things Should be Taken Care While doing Yoga on Periods
- Wear comfortable clothes and do yoga in an open space like a balcony or garden.
- Use an exercise mat or a thick blanket.
- Only do asanas that are easy and comfortable.
- Try some meditation and it will help in staying calm.
- If possible, do a yoga session with a yoga instructor or you can watch videos online.
- If you are feeling exhausted, then should not exceed time and do some yoga exercise just by sitting in your bed.
- Do not put extra pressure on your lower abdomen.
Hope you get all the answers to “Why Yoga is important During Menstruation?”. Yoga is extremely helpful to go through those painful period days with ease. It helps in connecting the mind and soul. There are endless perks of introducing yoga into your life, not only during periods but all day. We are sure you will experience a tremendous change in the wellness of your body and mind.