Diet Plan for Reflux Diseases – Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is a common health problem that adversely affects your digestive system. Millions of people across the world deal with digestion-related problems like heartburn, acid regurgitation, etc. However, you can stay safe against these diseases by following a well-balanced diet routine. Reading below you’ll find out the Best Diet Plan for Reflux Diseases.
Reflex diseases result in health issues like burning pain and heartburn in the lower chest region. Mostly, these occur when the acid in your stomach flows back into the esophagus. It is a problem that can affect an individual belonging to any age group. The best way to treat this digestive disorder is by consuming a diet full of vitamins, minerals, and all other essential nutrients. In other words, you must eat healthily. In this blog, we’ll present before you a List of Foods to Eat to Avoid Reflux Diseases.
Table of Contents
Factors that can lead to Reflux Diseases
GERD is a digestive disorder that causes severe health problems and can even result in stomach cancer. Before reading about the diet plan for reflux diseases, you should be aware of the factors associated with the same. Some of the major factors that give birth to reflux diseases are:
- Excess Alcohol Consumption
- Intake of an unhealthy diet (too much spicy, oily, fried junk foods)
- Hiatal Hernia
- Certain medications (sedatives, nitrates, etc.)
Foods That Help Stay Safe against the Reflux Diseases
Symptoms such as dry cough, sore throat, bloating, burping, hiccups, difficulty in swallowing, etc. indicate that you’re at a higher risk of falling prone to reflux diseases. For this reason, you need to intake a diet that cools down your stomach acids and prevents them from flowing back into the food pipe.
Have a look at the top foods to Cure Reflux Diseases mentioned below:
- Fiber-rich foods – All types of fibrous foods like Whole grains such as oatmeal, couscous, brown rice, etc. lower the risk of acid reflux. These foods fight against the factors resulting in heartburn.
- Fruits – Foods having a low pH level are more likely to cause reflux diseases. Thus, you must consume alkaline or non-citrus fruits that are also rich in fiber, potassium, and magnesium. Fruits like apples, pears, avocados, melons, peaches, and bananas are always beneficial.
- Vegetables – Try including green vegetables like beans, broccoli, asparagus, cauliflower, etc. in your daily diet. Also, you can eat vegetables that are low in fat and sugar like potatoes, cucumber, or root vegetables like carrots and beets.
- Proteins – Foods such as salmon, trout, almonds, lean poultry, beans, lentils, turkey, fish, etc. are a good source of protein. Moreover, they strengthen your body and enable it to function properly.
- Healthy Fats – You can avoid reflux diseases by consuming healthy fats like walnuts, flaxseed, olive oil, sesame oil, sunflower oil, avocados, etc. However, you should lower the intake of saturated, trans fats as these can harm your digestive system.
Dietary Tips to Avoid Reflux Diseases
Besides consuming the foods listed above, you must avoid all such foods as:
- Artificially Sweetened Products
- Carbonated Beverages
- Highly Acidic & Fat rich foods
- Spicy/Fried junk foods
Most importantly, you must try your best to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Exercising regularly and drinking sufficient water can reduce the risk of reflux diseases to a great extent. Ensure that you’re sleeping and having your meals at the right time. Stay away from the vices like smoking, consuming alcohol, etc. and avoid taking any medications that cause acid reflux.
Lastly, reading about diet plans is easy but implementing them in actual is always a challenging task. Thus, you should seek advice from a professional nutrition and diet expert like Dietician Priyanka Mittal. Our diet expert will frame for you a perfect diet plan for reflux diseases and help you abide by the same!